Based on the findings of the condition assessment, we provide various options for repair taking into account energy consumption, maintenance, aesthetics, cost, and other affected categories. Recommendations often reflect current available technology, anticipated service life of components, and the cost effectiveness of proposed solutions.
This is the development of cost estimates for various material and construction options. Generally several options are presented to clients depending on their requirements. Items that are taken into account during the preparation of budgets often include:
- Construction costs, including an appropriate deterioration contingency fund
- Contingency allowance for code deficient issues
- Consultant Fees
- Legal Fees
- Applicable Taxes
- Third party warranty costs
Third Party Warranty Reviews
Periodic warranty reviews are required to ensure that a property is being adequately maintained to fulfill a third party warranty provider’s requirements. Failure to affirm these requirements can potentially result in the loss of warranty coverage.
Second opinion assessments are often required to confirm previous findings or to provide support for litigation. Our opinions can verify or substantially deviate from opinions previously encountered. Second opinions are often obtained in order to consider possible economically beneficial avenues for envelope repairs.
Contingency reserve funds study
An RFS is available to provide your organization with the anticipated costs, service life expectations of building components, and the projected budgeting requirements to maintain or replace common elements on your property over the next 30 years.
The RFS is intended to ensure that adequate funds are allocated and preserved for major repairs and replacements as required.
Every condominium building in BC is required to establish a Reserve Fund Study (Capital Replacement Plan) within the year following the registration and periodic planning to determine whether the amount of money in the reserve fund and the amount of contributions collected by the corporation are adequate to provide for the expected costs of major repair and replacement of the common elements and assets of the corporation. This demand is stipulated in the Condominium Act. Its objective is to forecast future major repair or replacement of common elements of the building, to lower the risk of unexpected repairs, and to ensure that proper funds would be available for those repairs when the time comes. Reserve Fund Studies include the following items:
- Comprehensive analysis and visual physical structural condition survey of common element components including roof, exterior walls, windows, structure, plumbing, HVAC, electrical systems, elevators, and interior finishes
- Review of the condition and evaluation of life expectancy of the building components
- Inspect and investigate the need of major repairs for the building
- Cost estimation for major repairs and/or replacement of building components
- Thirty year plans that outlines future needs to repair or replace major components of the building
- Cost analysis and cash allocation for future required repairs
- A description of the on-site physical assessment, inspection methods, and equipment (when applicable)
Apex Building Sciences Inc. provides expert witness services for legal cases. Litigation support includes the collection of data during the course of a project, the preparation of reports suitable for mediation and/or litigation, and the preparation of Scott schedules to provide opinions of observed violations, probable defendants, responsibilities, and values for damages.
Reviewing construction for conformance to drawings and specifications is a key component in achieving a high quality product for the end user. We conduct regular, thorough review of the construction of the building enclosure. We document and track our observations and deficiencies in a database for easy follow-up and tracking. We also regularly perform various on-site testing in our quality assurance role, including water penetration testing of glazing assemblies, adhesion testing, membrane thickness testing, etc.